Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Steak Au Pauvre with a Dijon Cognac Sauce

4 New York Strip Steaks
1 1/2 Cups fresh Coarse Ground Black Pepper
Kosher Salt
1 Tblspn. Olive Oil
3 Tblspn. Unsalted Butter
1/3 Cup Cognac (Brandy can be substituted)
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
1 1/2 Tblspn. Dijon Mustard

Rinse and pat dry the steaks.  Put fresh coarse ground black pepper on a plate.  Sprinkle each steak with Kosher salt.  Place each steak onto the black pepper pressing it firmly to ensure that it is thoroughly coated with the black pepper.  Repeat for other side of the steak.  Once coated in pepper, let the steaks stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.  Heat olive oil and unsalted butter in a skillet over medium high heat.  Cook steaks.  Approximately 5 minutes on each side to blacken steak nicely.  If you prefer your meat well done, remove from skillet and place steak in a baking dish in the oven at 200 degrees until it is cooked through as this will allow the steak to maintain juiciness. 

Once all steaks are blackened, remove the skillet from the pan and add the Cognac.  Return it to the burner and ignite the cognac.  Use a wooden spoon to scrape pan and deglaze the pan thoroughly.  Add  the dijon mustard and the cream and stir thoroughly to incorporate.  Turn off heat and serve immediately.  Spoon sauce over the steaks and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails