Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gluten Free Salsa

There are some gluten free bottled Salsa on the shelves, but can anyone argue that fresh homemade isn't better?  Of course not!  I put this recipe together over the years and it is delicous.  You can adjust the type of peppers that you use for the desired heat.  This recipe is a medium hot.  It catches you in the back of the throat, but doesn't make your eyes water and your forehead sweat.

I am not a big fan of Cilantro, but I do like Coriander, which is the seed of the plant.  Therefore, I use Coriander in this recipe.  You can add a couple tablespoons of chopped Cilantro to the recipe if you choose to have a more predominant presence of the flavor.

Here is a link to a site that is great for describing the flavor and heat of the various peppers you can choose from for this recipe  http://www.foodsubs.com/Chilefre.html

Donna's Spicey Salsa

1/2 Cup of fresh hot peppers chopped.  I use a mix of equal amounts of Jalepeno, Hot Cherry Peppers, and Guero (also known as Caribe Chili Pepper) and I add one small Habanero Pepper.  (I remove the seeds from all of the hot peppers, but you can add some for extra heat.
3 Cups of chopped mild Peppers to include 1 Red Bell Pepper, and equal amounts of Poblano Peppers, Yellow Bananna Peppers and Anaheim Peppers
1 Large Sweet Yellow Onion chopped
3 Cans of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz. each)
1.5 Tspn. Kosher Salt
2 Tblspn. Tblspn. Fine Ground Black Pepper
1 Tblspn. Crushed Garlic
1 Tspn. crushed Coriander seed.  (I use a pestle and mortar to crush them.)
3 Tbspn. Dired Parsley
3 Tblspn. Grape Seed Oil
3 Tblspn. White Wine Vinegar
1 Tblspn. Corn Starch
3 Tblspn. Water

Heat the Grape Seed oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.  Add the chopped peppers and onions.  Allow to cook until onions begin to sweat and peppers become slightly tender.  Add the white wine vinegar and allow to cook for 1 more minute.  Add the crushed garlic, kosher salt, pepper and coriander. Stir to incorporate and allow to cook for 3 minutes.  Add the fire roasted diced tomatoes and dried parsley.  Stir to incorporate ingredients thouroughly.  Reduce heat to medium but maintain a low boil and allow to cook for 15 minutes stirring frequently.  Taste and ajust salt and pepper to your liking.  In a small bowl mix Corn Starch and Water and stir to a smooth liquid.    Add the Corn Starch slurry to the salsa and allow to cook at a low boil for an addition 5 - 7 minutes.    Remove from heat and allow the salsa to cool.  Once cooled, add the salsa to a food processor or blender and pulse to desired consistency.

Makes approximately 2 quarts of salsa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails