Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes without the Gluten. Delicous!

Most scalloped potato recipes call for the use of flour as a thickening agent.  When I first found out I had Celiac Disease, I substituted potato starch for a thickening agent in scalloped potatoes.  Then, I changed my technique to a recipe that is thick and creamy and does not require any thickener.  The recipe was originally inspired by Tyler Florence and then tweaked by me. Enjoy!
                                               
Thyme Infused Scalloped Potatoes

2 lbs of Russet Potatoes cleaned peeled and evenly sliced into 1/8 inch slices (I use a Mandolin Slicer)
1/2 Cup Reggio Parmigiano Cheese grated
1/2 Cup Assiago Cheese Shredded
2 Cups Heavy Cream
2 Tblspn. Unsalted Butter
3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme (plus 1 additional tblspn. fresh Thyme finely chopped reserved)
1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary (plus1 Tspn. fresh Rosemary finely chopped reserved)
1 Dry Bay Leaf
1/2 Tspn. Freshly Grated Nutmeg (plus 1/4 Tspn. of freshly grated Nutmeg reserved)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Heat the heavy cream and unsalted butter with 3 sprigs of fresh Thyme, 1 sprig fresh Rosemary, 1 dry Bay Leaf, 1/2 Tspon. freshly grated Nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste (approximately 1/4 tspn. of each) over medium heat.  Stir frequently and do not let the mixture come to a boil.  You want to heat the mixture and keep over a low temperature to infuse the flavors of the herbs and seasonings into the cream.

While the seasonings and herbs are infusing with the cream, arrange sliced potatoes in a low casserole dish.  I arrange them in a circular fashion as pictured above.  Top each single layer of potatoes with a ladle of the infused heavy cream  (be sure to discard the sprigs of thyme and rosemary at this point), salt and pepper to taste, a sprinkle of fresh nutmeg and a layer of the parmigiano and asiago cheese. Continue to layer in this manner until complete.  Pour any remaining infused cream over the top.  Finish with a layer of the two cheeses on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg, fresh thyme and rosemary.

Place in 375 degree oven and allow to bake uncovered until potatoes are fork tender and the top is lightly golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails