Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Friday, March 16, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Carmelized Onion Salad

A simple and delicious warm salad that is just as good chilled!

Ingredients:

4 Cups of medium to large Brussel Sprouts rinsed, trimmed and halved
1 Medium Red Onion sliced
1/2 Cup dried Cranberries
1 Tblspn. Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 Tblspn. Kosher Salt
1 Tblspn. Ground Black Pepper
2 Tblspn. Unsalted Butter
2 Tblspn. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1Tblspn. Sesame Oil
1.5 Tblspn. Gluten Free Soy Sauce
1 Tblspn. Gluten Free Chili Garlic Sauce

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees

Melt unsalted butter over medium high flame and add Red Onion slices to pan.  Allow the onion to cook undisturbed until the onion begins to carmelize.  Stir onions so that they carmelize evenly.  When good carmel color is achieved, remove onions from pan and set aside.
Arrange Brussel Sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle the kosher salt and black pepper over them.  Drizzle the seasoned Brussel Sprouts with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and use your hands to roll/mix the Brussel Sprouts with the seasoning and oil to coat the Brussel Sprouts evenly.  Place back to a single layer and put the pan in the oven.  Allow the Brussel Sprouts to roast and carmelize for approximately 10 -12 minutes and then using a spatula, turn them to roast and carmelize on the other side for another 5- 8 minutes.  When Brussel Sprouts are tender and nicely carmelized remove from oven and transfer to a serving bowl.
Add the carmelized onions, dried cranberries, toasted sesame seeds, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, and Garlic Chili Sauce.  Taste test and adjust seasoning to taste, if necessary. Toss and serve.

Note:  If you do not have toasted sesame seeds, simply place the sesame seeds in a small skillet (no oil neccessary) and place over a low to medium heat until they are toasted to a light golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails