Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Friday, March 9, 2012

Navy Bean Soup


A Delicious Vegeterian Soup. . .

Ingredients:

16 oz. Dried Navy Beans (Pre-soaking not necessary)
3 Cups of Vegetable Stock
2 Cups of Water
1/2 Cup Marsala Wine
3 Tblspn. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
16 oz. Diced Tomatoes with their Juice
1.5 Cups Diced Celery
1.5 Cups Diced Carrots
1.5 Cup Diced Sweet Onion
1.5 Cup Diced Potatoes
2 Cups Chopped Escarole
1 Cup Chopped Raddichio
3 Tblspn. Kosher Salt (or more to taste)
3 Tblspn. Ground Black Pepper (or more to taste)
1.5 Tblspn. Garlic Powder
2 Tblspn. Dried Parsley
2 Tblspn. Dried Basil
1 Tblspn. Dried Oregano
1 Large Dried Bay Leaf

Directions:

Rinse dried Navy Beans and sort out any foreign pieces.  Add beans, Vegetable Stock, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Marsala Wine and water to large soup/sauce pan.  Add salt, pepper and garlic powder and place on stove over high flame.  Allow to cook for 30 minutes.  Add all remaining ingredients and bring soup back to a rolling boil.  Lower flame to medium and allow to cook at a low boil, stirring frequently, for 40 - 45 minutes. Taste test broth at this point for any necessary seasoning adjustments.  Reduce soup to a simmer and allow it to cook for 1.5 hours additional. 

Options:

Any vegetable of choice may be added to the ingredients.  Also, pasta or rice can be added to the soup for serving.  However, make the gluten free pasta or rice in a separate pan.  When it is cooked, add some of the soup broth to pasta or rice and add the desired amount of pasta or rice to each bowl served.  This will avoid the pasta or rice becoming overdone and mushy if left in the main pan.  Grated Parmigiano or Romano Cheese sprinkled over the top of each serving is also very tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails