Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Fresh Vegetables are naturally gluten free and delicious. Farmer'sMarkets are the best place to shop!

I love fresh vegetables.  Naturally gluten free and delicious!

I find the key to using fresh vegetables is staying creative.  These beautiful gifts of nature are tastey, fresh and a great way to shed some pounds!  So, next time you're craving noodles, reach for the "zoodles" instead!

  Zucchini Noodle Primavera 
I used a Paderno Spiralizer for these "noodles". I really enjoy using this tool! I found it to be much quicker than using the Mandoline. Plus, you get the curly look!  I think that light, fresh Pomadoro Sauce recipes pair best with these "noodles". Because I had such a haul of fresh vegetables from my most recent visit to the Farm Market, I made it a Primavera! It was delicious!

Ingredients:

2 Large Zucchini
4 Cups Crushed Tomatoes
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Rib of Celery Diced
1 Carrot Diced
1 long Garlic Scape diced, if in season, or substitute 1 medium clove of garlic minced
2 Scallions diced
1 Cup of Mushrooms (White or Baby Bella) sliced
1/2 Tsp of Red Pepper Flake
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil chopped
1/4 Cup Fresh Italian Flat Leaf Parsley chopped
2 Tbsp Fresh Oregano

Directions:

Wash and dry off  Zucchini.  Peel if desired, but I prefer to leave the skin on.  Follow the instructions on your brand spiralizer and make the "zoodles".  Set aside.

In a low saucier or skillet heat the EVOO over medium heat and add the celery and carrots and allow to cook for 2 minutes.  Add the Scallions and Garlic Scape and allow to cook for 2 minutes.  If you are using the Garlic in place of the Scapes, let the Scallions cook for 1 minute before adding garlic and then let the garlic and scallions cook for another minute before adding further.  Add red pepper flake and salt and pepper to taste.  Add Mushrooms and cook for another minute.  Add the crushed tomatoes and stir to incorporate the fresh vegetables through the sauce.  Increase heat to medium high and bring sauce to a boil.  Adjust the heat down slightly and allow the sauce to lightly boil and cook for 5 minutes.  Taste test and adjust salt and pepper to your preference.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Add the Basil, Parsley and Oregano.  Allow the sauce to simmer for 15 minutes stirring frequently.

Add the "zoodles" (no need to par boil) directly to the sauce.  Stir the zucchini gently working it into the sauce until the zoodles are coated thoroughly.  Cover and let cook 2 - 3 minutes.  Taste test for tenderness.  If too al dente, then allow to cook for another minute or 2.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails