Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Let's talk about a well stocked gluten free pantry, refrigerator and freezer. . .

As much as I try to plan my meals in advance, there are always those days or weeks where I fly by the seat of my pants.  There are also those times when I don't feel like grocery shopping.  Those days when I feel like hanging in my sweat pants and don't want to be seen at the neighborhood grocery store with no make-up and a baseball cap!!  For those of us with a gluten intolerance, it is important to have a well stocked cupboard and frig! 

I keep certain items stocked at all times.  I usually buy back ups of the items so I don't run out.

1.  All purpose gluten free flour (I prefer King Arthur)
2.  Rice Flour (this is great for dusting meats prior to cooking)
3.  Corn Meal (Excellent to use in a process, such as a substitute for bread crumbs or to make a meal
or side dish, such as polenta).
4. Xanthan Gum used for baking from scratch to keep our pastries, cakes, cookies, etc. from crumbling.
5.  Gluten free bread mix, such as a French bread mix
6. Gluten free sandwich bread (freezer)
7. Gluten free pizza or Focaccia mix
8.  Three types of meat/poultry in freezer (such as chicken, beef, pork)
9.  Potatoes
10.  Rice (white, brown, Arborio. . .whatever your preference)
11. Dried GF Pasta
12.  Eggs
13.  Fresh and dried herbs
14.  Sufficient produce on hand for several days.  For salad greens stay with hardy greens such as Romaine as it has better staying power. For tomatoes I like to have both Roma and Beefsteak on hand.
15.  Gluten Free Soy Sauce and/or Stir Fry Sauce (I prefer San J Brand)
16. Always keep a nice Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Grape Grain)
17.  Gluten Free Deli Meats (I prefer Boars Head)
18.  A selection of GF Cheese (I like to keep Parmigiano -Reggiano and Mozzarella on hand.)
19.  A variety of vinegars.  (I always have a nicely aged Balsamic, White Balsamic, White Wine and Red Wine Vinegar at a minimum.)
20.  Cooking Wines.  (I always try to have a bottle of red and white that are suitable for cooking as well as a Sherry and Marsala as basic bottles always on hand.)

With a pantry typically stocked with these items, then any day you are prepared to whip up a meal, appetizer, pizza, desert, charcuterie or anything your gluten free heart desires!  Your imagination and mood will dictate it, but you are prepared for anything on the scale from simple and comfort to gourmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails