Welcome!

I am so glad you stopped by. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I've been converting my Italian family's recipes to gluten free. My family and friends can't tell the difference! I also create my own delicious recipes. I will be posting new recipes weekly which will range from traditional comfort foods to gourmet dishes. Not all of the recipes will be Italian, but they all will be delicious! In addition, you will find helpful tips for gluten free living, related links and product recommendations. I welcome any specific requests for recipes. If I don't have it, I will find it! You can email me directly. A link to my email is located in my profile. . . simply click on the tab to view my full Enjoy the site!

Monday, May 17, 2010

Gluten intolerance and most BBQ sauces are not a good mix. . .

      Just reading the ingredients on most BBQ sauce labels is a frightening experience for a person who can't eat Gluten.  There are a plethora of ingredients that do or may contain gluten such as, MSG, Modified Food Starch, and Caramel color.  Well, I began working on a BBQ sauce, something I had never made, shortly after my diagnosis.  I ultimately achieved a BBQ sauce that made me never want to buy it in a bottle again.  It is very easy to make.  This recipe is a nice balance between spicy and sweet.  However, the beauty of this recipe is that the seasonings can be adjusted easily to accommodate your own taste.  If you want it hotter, throw in more Jalepeno or perhaps substitute a Habanero instead.  Sweeter?  More brown sugar or balsamic vinegar.  Saltier?  add a pinch. . .you get the idea.  This BBQ sauce is great on Brisket, Ribs, Chicken, Shrimp. . .if you can BBQ it, this sauce works.  Enjoy! 

Donna's Kickin'  BBQ Sauce

3 Small Shallots finely minced
1 Large Sweet Yellow Onion chopped
4 Large Garlic Cloves finely minced
1 Jalapeno pepper minced (If you like it hotter keep the seeds, otherwise discard seeds)
4 Strips Thick Cut Smoked Bacon chopped
4 Tblspn. Ground Black Pepper
4 Tblspn. Paprika
4 Tblspn. Chili Powder
2 Tspn. Ground Cumin
2 Tspn. Ground Ceyenne Pepper
2 Tspn. Salt
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Apple Balsamic Vinegar
2 28 oz. Cans of Crushed Tomatoes  (with no seasonings added)

Heat oil in a saucier or large skillet.  Add bacon.  When Bacon is half way cooked, add garlic, onion, shallots and jalapeno.  Cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is crisped on the edges.  Add crushed tomatoes and the balance of all remaining ingredients.  Stir thoroughly until brown sugar and vinegar is incorporated with no color streaking.    At this point, the BBQ sauce should be a brownish red.  The color of the sauce is directly related to its appropriate taste.  If you prefer a darker BBQ sauce, you can add, more of the Brown Sugar, Apple Balsamic and Chili Powder at this point.  However, add only 1 Tblspn at a time of the Brown Sugar and Apple Balsamic and 1 Tspn. of the Chili Powder and taste test before any further additions.  Bring the BBQ sauce to a light boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 1.5 hours.

Makes 2 Quarts.

Note:  If you prefer a very smooth textured BBQ sauce, simply allow the BBQ sauce to cool and run the sauce through either a food processor or blender to achieve a smooth consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails